Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcnacarlson

I need help to elevate and modernize my bathroom an

jcnacarlson
11 days ago
last modified: 11 days ago

Thank you for everyone's responses. Very helpful. I'm now turning my attention to wallpaper. Looking for ideas that would make the bathroom pop. I'm going to change out the light fixtures and mirror. I'm completely open to color, but not wanting to do grass or peel and stick wallpaper. Thoughts?

Comments (18)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 days ago

No.

Why are you showing only a sink, when your question pertains to a shower?

Update the light above the vanity. Add some colorful art.

Show the rest.....................

jcnacarlson thanked JAN MOYER
  • la_la Girl
    11 days ago

framing out the vanity mirror would also be an upgrade - something like this https://www.mirrormate.com/

• jcnacarlson
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you! Great suggestion

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 days ago

Why not just wallpaper the total room including the area above the shower unit?

jcnacarlson thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • jcnacarlson
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I could, but the water can splash up.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 days ago

I'd spend money on a new floor. Update the light over vanity, take down the builder mirror, fix/ skim any drywall and then paint. Buy a nice big 30 or 36" round mirror, framed or not.

You can't "fool" a shower surround into anything other than what it is. : )

Take attention away from the shower to other things

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    11 days ago

No, don't tile above the shower. Pick a different wall color, something that works better with the wood vanity and the brown floor. Gray doesn't do it here. Pick out a new light fixture for over the vanity, too.

• PRO
    Douglah Designs
    10 days ago

You might just try updating the lighting, hardware, faucet, and paint color. Otherwise we wouldn't recommend doing anything else unless you're doing a full update on the space.

Wine Country Charm · More Info

Modern Farmhouse Rebuild · More Info

• Iris Graeber
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

I'm not wild about the towel rack above the toilet. Can you move it elsewhere? I always want more storage so I'd put a white cabinet above the toilet, mounted high enough that you can still access the toilet tank to clean it or replace the flap without bumping your head. The grey walls are fighting with your floor. I'd paint them a nice pale beige or pale golden and hang some colorful art you love. I'd paint the vanity white. Builder's mirrors look ugly because of their raw edges, but they sure are a wonderful size when you want to check out how you look in them, so I'd keep it but frame it. I did my lower bathroom walls in white wainscotting and the uppers in a light beige, so any color of towel or bathmat (except grey) would work in there.

• Kendrah
    10 days ago

Can you say more about your decision to wallpaper instead of paint? Remember that while you are open to any suggestions, your floor color and vanity color are going to dictate the wall paper color.

What kind of print are you looking for? Floral, geometric, classic, traditional, glam, contemporary? What style is the decor in the rest of your home?

You mentioned changing your mirror. Your current mirror is the best asset of this room and makes it look huge. Keep ot but frame it.

• jcnacarlson
    Original Author
    10 days ago

The bathroom is in our basement off of our bourbon bar. I wanted to do something fun and unexpected. Here is an example of wallpaper that looked interesting.

• latifolia
    10 days ago

I love that wallpaper!

You ask about elevating the space. Changing the plastic shower would be expensive, but getting a new vanity top could be quite reasonable. Nothing screams builder grade like those molded plastic sinks. We have one and can't wait to be rid of it.

Look at stone yards for a nice remnant. Paired with a white sink and nice faucet that will really raise your bathroom a notch!

• la_la Girl
    10 days ago

Love that paper! Another idea is if you’re handy there are lots of low cost shower door makeover ideas online

jcnacarlson thanked la_la Girl
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago

You don't NEED paper to have fun

Paint it!!! AS the paper meet at the shower will disintegrate fast

Put a leopard mat on that floor

Get a new faucet on a new WHITE remnant counter top, even a bright white corian with an under mount sink you add

update the light

Get the builder mirror off

add some ART

jcnacarlson thanked JAN MOYER
  • Kendrah
    10 days ago

Aside from looking like 100 eyes watching you in the bathroom, that is great moody wallpaper that would go well with your floor and vanity. :) Others will know more than me about how wallpaper will hold up in the area above your insert. If it isn't ideal, you could paint the area above your the insert line with a complimentary color taken from the wallpaper.

• latifolia
    10 days ago

This bathroom adjoins their bourbon bar. If the shower is seldom used, wallpaper may hold up just fine.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Longevity is not even the point, as to paper.

If budget was no constraint? The fiberglass shower and builder grade door would be gone. The flooring would be gone. !

Ignore the shower if budget is constrained -a great paint color and the rest will do it. !

Put the MONEY where the money really needs to go to get some happy bang.

You don't drink in the bath: ) You use it after you drink. By then? You hardly notice......lol